Are You Ready to be a Caregiver?
A study by MetLife concludes, bluntly, that without informal caregivers our health care system would collapse.
Informal caregivers are volunteers working without compensation to care for a family member or friend.
- 1 in 5 Americans are caregivers at this moment.
- 1 in 3 Americans will provide care this year.
- 80% of all care in America is provided by informal caregivers.
- Informal caregivers provide $375 billion in unpaid services each year.
If you live a normal lifespan, you will either be or be dependent upon an informal caregiver. If you become a caregiver, you will find:
- Caregivers labor in isolation, exhausting themselves by reinventing what others already know.
- There is no organized caregiver support structure and few places to turn for help.
- The financial impact of being an unpaid caregiver can be devastating.
- The emotional impact of being an unpaid carefiver is corrosive.
- No training manuals exist for informal caregivers.
- Informal caregivers are invisible within our health care system.
Long-term-care insurance can mitigate or eliminate these burdens.